15th July 2011 Early wake up call!

Well the day started off with a knock, knock, knock on our motorhome door at 05:15 am!

We were not due to start work until 09:15am so this was a bit of a shock.

I poked my sleepy head out of the front door and politely told the man standing there that we were not on duty and he was to ring the bell (as the notice says) for the staff on duty to attend.

He told me that there was a burst pipe in the men’s toilet/shower block and he thought that it was from the laundry room next door.

I got up anyway to have a look as I felt guilty by dumping that on Bill and Lynn.

As I neared the front door I could hear the sound of gushing water. Fearing the worse I opened the door only to be confronted by an inch of water all the way through the block.

It soon became apparent that a flexible hose had burst beneath a mixer tap on one of the sinks so I opened up the cleaning cupboard next door to get a screwdriver to switch off the water on the isolation valve. The screwdriver was nowhere to be found so I had to go to my tool bag on my bike to get a multi tool.

After stopping the leak I grabbed a broom and began to sweep the water out from the far end end of the block to the front door.

Angela came over to see how I was getting on and when she saw the amount of water she went off to the barn to get a larger broom to help me out.

As she had to go into the office to get through to the barn she disturbed Bill and Lynn who came round to assist in the clean up operation.

We eventually finished an hour later and as we were up Angela and I decided to take the opportunity to have a nice walk around the lake to see the wildlife.

We saw a solitary fisherman who was into a nice fish so we watched for a while and then carried on with our walk.

It was really peaceful and tranquil at that time of morning and there was a thin layer of mist hovering just above the water. We saw chaffinches flying after each other, heard a Robin singing, saw a few Blackbirds and Thrushes and heard a few large fish jumping out of the water. We hoped to see something special but it never appeared, there were a lot of Rabbits though running off in all directions once they heard us coming.

We went back to the van, made a cup of coffee that we took to bed and then went back to sleep until we were woken again by our alarm clock at 07:00am. We eventually got up at 08:00am had breakfast (Croissants and Milk Chocolate Brioche Rolls) before heading over to the office for 09:15am.

After serving in the shop for a bit I went out on the mower to cut what I could as we were expecting rain. As our departures began leaving I cut their pitch ready for the 38 new arrivals for today. We knew it was going to be busy so we could have done without being disturbed so early as we were!

As we were on the late shift we knew it would be down to us to pitch the late arrivals. By 18:00pm there were still 13 to come in!

I pitched the last two tents at 21:30 hours and I am now waiting for 11pm to finish our shift after we have locked the gate and put the emergency bell back in the office!

We are off until Monday morning so have decided not to set the alarm clock for tomorrow and get up when we wake naturally……………………..Goodnight 🙂

About Dean

Angela and I decided that there was more to life than working hard to keep up the payments on the mortgage, to pay the gas, electric, phone bills etc. etc. SO............ In 2008 we sold our house, I initially took a year off (Unpaid) and Angela handed in her notice! We bought a motorhome and set off for a year of travelling! This was the best thing we had done in our lives (Apart from getting married) and we have no regrets. During the year I managed to secure a redundancy package which felt very strange. Almost sad as I had worked for the same company for 19 years (BT). It was always our plan to have a whole year off before thinking about the 'W' word. We began applying to the Camping and Caravanning Club (CCC) for the position of Holiday site assistants in August 2009. After the interview, work experience and induction we were finally given a contract at the CCC site in Inverewe (Scotland). Our plan is to work through the summer in the UK then head to Europe to overwinter before coming back to work the following summer season. Hopefully these few words and our blog will inspire others to get off the hamsters wheel and see that there is more to live than having a house and material things. A cliche I know but this is not a rehearsal, life is too short!!! Since our first contract in Scotland we have worked a winter contract in Oxford (never again!) not Oxford but a winter contract. Hereford for two years, living in a yurt for one! And Cornwall. In between our working we have also travelled a bit. Hopefully this website will give you an insight into our alternative lifestyle. Get out there and live the dream!
This entry was posted in 2011 and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.